- 2 medium eggplant, chopped (about 6 cups)
- 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil, divided
- 1 medium yellow onion, chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 cup celery, diced
- 3 large Roma tomatoes, chopped
- 2 tablespoons capers, drained
- 1/4 cup lightly toasted pine nuts
- 1 tablespoon natural cane sugar
- 1/3 cup red wine vinegar
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed red chile flakes (optional)
- 1/4 teaspoon fine sea salt
- 1/2 cup green Sicilian olives, minced for garnish
Preheat the oven to 400°F. Toss eggplant with 2 tablespoons oil and sprinkle with salt. Place a piece of unbleached parchment paper on a cookie sheet. Spread eggplant in single layer over the parchment paper. Bake eggplant for 25 minutes or until tender.
Heat remaining 2 tablespoons oil in a pan; add onion, celery and garlic and cook over medium heat until onions are translucent, about 4 to 5 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add tomatoes and eggplant; continue to cook for 3 minutes. Add vinegar, pine nuts, capers, sugar, and chili flakes, if desired. Cook for 8 to 10 minutes, stirring often, until tomatoes are tender and vegetables are melding together.
Garnish with minced olives. Refrigerate for four hours or overnight.
Per Serving: 140 calories (100 from fat), 11g total fat, 1g saturated fat, 290mg sodium, 10gcarbohydrates, (3 g dietary fiber, 5g sugar), 2g protein.