- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 1 onion, thinly sliced
- 1 clove garlic, finely chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon grated fresh ginger
- 1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 (28-ounce) can crushed tomatoes
- 1 (15-ounce) can black-eyed peas, rinsed and drained
- 1/4 teaspoon fine sea salt
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
- 2 firm bananas, halved lengthwise and cut into chunks
Heat oil in a large high-sided skillet over medium heat. Add onion and cook about 10 minutes or until golden and tender, stirring frequently. Stir in garlic, ginger and cayenne and cook for 1 minute, stirring constantly. Add tomatoes and peas and bring to a simmer. Cook 15 minutes or until peas are tender and flavors blended. Stir in salt.
Meanwhile, melt butter in a separate skillet over medium-high heat. Reduce heat to medium, add bananas and cook about 5 minutes or until browned on both sides, gently flipping halfway through cooking. Serve alongside black-eyed peas in a shallow bowl.
Per Serving: 270 calories (70 from fat), 8g total fat, 2.5g saturated fat, 10mg cholesterol,730mg sodium, 47g carbohydrates, (9 g dietary fiber, 11g sugar), 9g protein.