Get your daily dose of dark leafy greens any time of day with this delicious green smoothie. Ground flaxseed adds omega-3s. Pour any extra into a freezer-pop mold and have it later as a frozen green smoothie pop.
Makes: 2 servings, about 1 3/4 cups each
Active Time: 10 minutes
Total Time: 10 minutes
- 2 ripe medium bananas
- 1 ripe pear or apple, peeled if desired, chopped
- 2 cups chopped kale leaves, tough stems removed (see Notes)
- 1/2 cup cold orange juice
- 1/2 cup cold water
- 12 ice cubes
- 1 tablespoon ground flaxseed (see Notes)
- Place bananas, pear (or apple), kale, orange juice, water, ice cubes and flaxseed in a blender. Pulse a few times, then puree until smooth, scraping down the sides as necessary.
TIPS & NOTES
- Notes: Choose organic kale when possible. Nonorganic can have high pesticide residue.
- Look for ground flaxseeds (or flaxmeal) in the natural-foods section of large supermarkets or in natural-foods stores. Store in the refrigerator or freezer.
Per serving: 240 calories; 3 g fat (0 g sat, 0 g mono); 0 mg cholesterol; 55 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 5 g protein; 8 g fiber; 38 mg sodium; 987 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin A (210% daily value), Vitamin C (208% dv), Potassium (28% dv), Magnesium (21% dv), Folate (18% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 3
Exchanges: 2 1/2 fruit, 1 vegetable