For the Salad
- 1 1/2 pounds beets, peeled and quartered (or cut into bite sized pieces if you’re using large beets)
- 1 teaspoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1 cup walnut halves
- 3 tablespoons pure maple syrup
- 1/4 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/8 teaspoon fresh cracked pepper
- 4 packed cups of curly kale, washed and torn into bite sized pieces
- Optional: 1/4 cup goat or Boursin cheese (a diced avocado makes a great vegan alternative to creamy cheeses in salads!)
For the Dressing
- 3 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 1 teaspoons balsamic vinegar
- 1/2 teaspoon dijon mustard (certified gluten-free if necessary)
- 1 small garlic clove, grated on a microplane or very finely minced
- A pinch of sea salt
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
Preheat the oven to 425 degrees F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
Place the beets on the prepared baking sheet and drizzle the oil over top. Use your hands to toss them in oil. Cover the baking sheet with aluminum foil and bake in the oven for 30-40 minutes, or until they can be priced using some pressure with a fork.
While the beets are roasting prepare the rest of the salad. Add the walnut halves to a small frying pan over medium high heat. Let them cook until they are fragrant and start to brown in places, shaking the pan frequently. Pour over the maple syrup and sprinkle with sea salt and fresh cracked pepper. Let them cook, stirring constantly, until the maple syrup has almost evaporated, about 1 minute. Remove the walnuts from the pan and place them on a piece of parchment paper, separating them from each other as much as possible.
Add the kale, optional cheese or avocado and the walnuts to a large bowl. When the beets come out of the oven let them cool slightly then add them to the bowl too. Pour the dressing over top and toss well so that everything is coated.
To make the dressing, combine all the ingredients except for the oil in a medium sized bowl. Slowly add the oil in a thin steady stream while whisking the dressing constantly. If the oil starts to build up at all stop pouring it and whisk the dressing vigorously. It will take you about 1 minute to whisk in the oil. Taste the dressing and season with salt to taste.
Serves: 8 | Serving Size: 1 cup
Per serving: Calories: 248; Total Fat: 17g; Saturated Fat: 2g; Monounsaturated Fat: 5g; Cholesterol: 0mg; Sodium: 175mg; Carbohydrate: 23g; Dietary Fiber: 4g; Sugar: 15g; Protein: 4g
Nutrition Bonus: Potassium: 457mg; Iron: 9%; Vitamin A: 67%; Vitamin C: 74%; Calcium: 8%